Translate this site!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Walkin'

I recently celebrated my 3rd month anniversary in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, I realized that walking would cease to exist in the way that I was accustomed. I'm still lamenting over the loss of the extra calories burnt and mini cardio sessions.

Trading the NYC subway for the highway proved to be quite an adjustment. Especially considering traffic is horrendous here.

But all hope for walking didn't end completely. If there is a will there is a way!

Turns out my apartment is less than a quarter mile from Trader Joe's, Starbucks, Walgreen's, CVS, and the Salvation Army (which has half off all merchandise on Saturdays). As I walked to Trader Joe's I discovered a small strip mall with a pizzeria, meat market, dry cleaners, pastry shop, and kabob shop! Not to mention a 7-11. That's just in one direction. There are many other shops and stores nearby. And a quarter mile isn't a long walk at all considering my walks in New York City were much much longer.

I also discovered the center of town is only 1.5 miles away which takes a little under 20 minutes to walk. So I can walk to the gym, the mall, parks and a whole slew of places! And with the beautiful weather we have here, it's really a sin not to walk if time permits.

Walking is pleasant, great exercise and good for our planet. Imagine if more citizens decided to walk! Perhaps traffic wouldn't be as crazy.

Another awesome opportunity to walk materialized by accident. In order to meet new people I decided to check out groups on MeetUp. To my surprise; walking groups!!

Apparently, Los Angeles is filled with secret stairs from back in the days when public transportation and walking were normal (why oh why did it end?!?!). Anyway, there is a group that walks all around up and down the lost staircases. During our last MeetUp we walked 6 miles!

My new city is really awesome, and the biggest shame is all the things I miss while zipping around in the car (even though I do love her - Hi Hana!). On my various walks I have discovered so many gems that I wouldn't have had I stayed in my car.

WALKIN'!!!!

My quest for walking will not end! I will find more ways to walk in Los Angeles.



The Lost Stairs of Los Angeles. This used to be a creek...





1 comment:

  1. Good for you! The idea that people never walk outside of places like New York, Boston, or Philly (and a few others, like Portland, Oregon) I think is astounding. I find it equally insane that a person should have to drive to buy something simple like a quart of milk. But then I am 62 and have never learned to drive. Would find it easier to learn a foreign language and leave the country than move to a suburban sprawl, or that "small town" that I'm always yearning after, so that I could be the only trained singer in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete