Translate this site!

Friday, February 21, 2014

I Do, So I Teach

I've been undergoing a career transformation of sorts. After being let go from the third office job in a row, I started to feel a shift. This shift was encouraged by a visit to The Actor's Fund for career counseling. It is clear that right now performing doesn't pay all the bills so having a job to fill in the blanks is a necessity.

During my conversation with my career counselor she presented some options. She asked me with all sensitivity if performing is something I still wish to pursue, I said yes. Next, she offered a possible option. I know it should have seemed perfectly obvious that a parallel career is completely normal for performers but I was so sucked into the 9-5 vortex that it didn't occur to me.

Since 2007 in addition to the 9-5 job I teach a fine arts course online part time. Of all the 'non-performing' jobs I have had, this one doesn't leave me with fits of despair. Instead, I feel a sense of joy and fulfillment sharing my love for the arts with my students.

As a youth, teaching seemed undesirable largely due to the lack of positive teacher role models. I have had some pretty unsupportive teachers, with a few exceptions (whom I am extremely very grateful for). Because of those few exceptions, I try to pass on the gift they gave to others. It also didn't occur to me that I could be any good at teaching. As teaching began to cross my mind, I applied for a Teaching Fellows program twice, no luck. After graduate school I was accepted into a second Master's degree program in Early Childhood Music Education at Columbia University, but despite a $5,000 scholarship the tuition was still too high to absorb.

Besides, how does the saying go? Those who cannot do teach? I beg to differ...

I can do, and I do too! This is why I love to teach. If my passion for what I do as an artist wasn't apart of my life I wouldn't be able to teach at all. My love for the arts allows me to be passionate about what I teach. Believe me, they get it and thank me for it.


Thank you Sina!!! I started slow, but I ended up LOVING this class and started really getting interested in the arts!! - Scott S.

I just wanted to tell you that I have really enjoyed this class.  I'm bummed it is coming to an end! My desire is that I walk away from a class feeling like I gained new knowledge and I can really say that for this class! Thank you so much for being a part of my personal and academic growth!  - Elizabeth D.

I would like to thank you for being so understanding, I think you are one of the nicest instructors that have taught me how to open myself up to more culture.   - Renee L.

Within the last few months I have added two more online schools to my roster so I'll be doing alot more of my new or not so new parallel career. If only I was getting the 9-5 pay. Hopefully that will work itself out. Perhaps by doing more doing?







1 comment: